Tuesday, February 13th, 2018

 

Over 1,500 persons stuck; 15 tourists rescued

A WOMAN drowned in a flash flood in Negros Oriental, while a 12-year-old girl suffered injuries in Siquijor as tropical depression Basyang swept across southern communities in Central Visayas. In Cebu, at least 1,560 passengers were stranded after the Coast Guard prohibited 271 vessels, more than half of them cargo ships, from sailing. The Coast Guard also rescued 15 Chinese nationals in Getafe, Bohol, hours after they were stranded in Cabul-an Island of Buenavista town when the motor banca they had rented suffered engine trouble. Source: Local News


1.5K persons stuck; 15 tourists rescued

A WOMAN drowned in a flash flood in Negros Oriental, while a 12-year-old girl suffered injuries in Siquijor as tropical depression Basyang swept across southern communities in Central Visayas. In Cebu, at least 1,560 passengers were stranded after the Coast Guard prohibited 271 vessels, more than half of them cargo ships, from sailing. The Coast Guard also rescued 15 Chinese nationals in Getafe, Bohol, hours after they were stranded in Cabul-an Island of Buenavista town when the motor banca they had rented suffered engine trouble. Source: Local News


No classes as towns, cities assess storm’s toll

FOR the second time this week, Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III suspended today’s classes in both public and private schools as a precaution against rain and gusts from tropical depression Basyang. Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña also announced on Facebook last night that he had suspended classes in all levels, in both public and private schools. Disaster management teams from Cebu City and Mandaue City said that as of late Tuesday afternoon, no flood or landslide had been reported. Source: Local News


Archbishop reminds Catholic faithful of their Lenten obligations

CATHOLICS in Cebu are expected to flock to churches today as Lent begins with the observation of Ash Wednesday. In an interview yesterday, Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma reminded the faithful of their obligations during Lent, saying the season should be reserved for prayer and penance. “We are reminded that we are dust and unto dust we shall return. That we must repent for our sins and believe in the Gospel,” Palma told reporters. He said Lent is a time to reflect on Jesus’s Passion and death on the cross. Source:Read More


Singles’ Express Lane available only today at Mandaue City Hall

THE Mandaue City Government will open a Singles’ Express Lane for unmarried residents with transactions with the City today, Valentine’s Day. The lane will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Christine Marie Bulanon, Quality Management System Office head, encouraged single residents to fall in line and to not be ashamed of their relationship status. She said the City is also concerned about the emotions of its constituents. The lane is for single residents who need to secure a residence certificate, police clearance, professional tax and assessment, among others.Read More


Closure of Ouano Ave.

A FEW lanes on Ouano Ave. in Mandaue City will be closed to traffic when the road concreting project of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) starts at the end of the month. Mayor Gabriel Luis Quisumbing said there will be six phases in the road rehabilitation project of the DPWH, which will take about a year. While portions of Ouano Ave. will be closed, traffic will be diverted to Zuellig Ave. and Mantawi Drive. Source: Local News


300 couples to marry in Cordova’s 10,000 Roses

THE Home Mutual Guarantee Fund (HMGF), more popularly known as Pag-IBIG Fund, will sponsor the wedding of 300 couples at 10,000 Roses in Day-as, Cordova, Cebu today, Valentine’s Day. The solemnizing officer in today’s wedding dubbed as “I Do, I Do, Araw ng Pag-IBIG” is Cordova Mayor Mary Therese “Tetsie” Sitoy-Cho. Speaking before the 888 News Forum at Marco Polo Plaza, Pag-IBIG Vice President Victoria dela Peña said the wedding is at no cost to the couples. Source: Local News


Can Gwen be suspended sans violating Constitution?

HOUSE Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez intends to defy the Office of the Ombudsman’s order to dismiss Deputy Speaker Gwen Garcia for grave misconduct. Alvarez said that enforcing the dismissal order would be unconstitutional since it is not within the power of the Ombudsman to suspend or remove any member of Congress. Can the Ombudsman order the dismissal of a House member without violating the Constitution? If Garcia allegedly committed the offense when she was the governor, can she still be dismissed now as a congresswoman? Source: Local News


Underpass project in Mandaue City raises more questions

WITH the proposed underpass project on U.N. Ave. awarded to a winning bidder, the Metro Cebu Bridge Management Board (MCBMB) is worried about the traffic it will bring to the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu during construction. However, Noynito Paylado, planning division head of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7, said that the project will not be implemented without an agreed traffic management plan. Source: Local News


Accused in slay of soldier wants plaint vs. him dropped

MURDER suspect Joshua Garciano yesterday asked the Office of the Talisay City Prosecutor to dismiss the complaint filed against him. Assisted by his lawyer Rameses Victorius Villagonzalo, Garciano filed his judicial affidavit, where he denied any participation in the killing of Air Force Staff Sgt. Mark Herbert Oberes last month. “I am absolutely innocent of herein charge. I never knew or never participated in the planning to kill and the actual killing of Oberes,” read his affidavit. Source: Local News