Monday, February 12th, 2018

 

Unilever threatens to pull ads from 'divisive platforms'

THE HAGUE, Netherlands – Anglo-Dutch consumer giant Unilever, one of the world’s largest advertisers, threatened Monday, February 12, to snub digital platforms that fail to protect children or help “create division” in society. Denouncing what it called “toxic online content,” the Rotterdam-based Unilever weighed in on growing concerns about fake … Source: Politics


Sea level rise is accelerating – study

MIAMI, USA – Sea level rise is accelerating and could reach 26 inches (66 centimeters) by century’s end, in line with United Nations estimates and enough to cause significant problems for coastal cities, a study said Monday, February 12. The past annual rate of sea level rise – about 3 … Source: Politics


Trump budget includes infrastructure plan, steep social cuts, rising deficits

WASHINGTON DC, USA – US President Donald Trump on Monday, February 12, unveiled an ambitious proposal to renew American infrastructure as part of a budget that calls for a stunning rise in debt and trillions in cuts to the social safety net and other spending. The blueprint for the 2019 … Source: Politics


Alvarez says he won’t enforce Ombud’s order to dismiss Garcia

HOUSE Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez said on Monday that he will not implement the Office of the Ombudsman’s order to dismiss Deputy Speaker Gwen Garcia for grave misconduct. “My appropriate action is not to implement the order. Why? Because there is nothing in the Constitution that allows me to do that,” Alvarez said. Garcia, who has represented Cebu’s third congressional district since July 2013, was quick to link the dismissal order to her participation in the impeachment process against Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno. Source: Local News


Dino asks Osmeña to show proof he’s behind witness

PRESIDENTIAL Assistant for the Visayas Michael Dino denied allegations made by Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña that he was behind the witness who linked the mayor to the killing of Barangay Ermita Chief Felicisimo Rupinta last November. In an interview yesterday, Dino urged Osmeña to answer the allegations against him. “Ayaw sige ug pasangil ug laing tawo (Stop making accusations against others), just prove that you are innocent. He has nothing to worry about kung wala gyud siya’y apil (if he really has nothing to do with it),” Dino toldRead More


Claim is ‘ridiculous,’ says Osmeña

“WHY only now? (The late Ermita Barangay Captain Felicisimo Rupinta) Imok wanted to join (Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan) BOPK. Why would I want to kill him?” This was how Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña answered speculations after a prosecution witness in the Rupinta murder case alleged that an Osmeña paid for the village chief ’s murder. The pronouncement came as a response to the supplemental affidavit filed by Rolando Alvares Pacres last Feb. 9, two months after his first affidavit was submitted to the Office of the Provincial Prosecutor. Source:Read More


Councilor asks IBP to weigh in on skirmish

CEBU City Councilor Joel Garganera wants the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) to issue a statement on the confrontation between Mayor Tomas Osmeña and Court Sheriff El Cid Caballes last week. Caballes was the sheriff tasked to implement a court-ordered demolition in Sitio Sta. Cruz, Barangay Capitol Site. Two days after the dispute, Osmeña challenged the court, sheriff and court lot claimant to file charges against him. Caballes, on the other hand, said that he will not be taking any legal action against the mayor. Source: Local News


Additional P50M for VSMMC’s 1-stop center

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte vowed to provide P50 million each month as additional assistance to the newly launched Malasakit Center in the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center. However, it has yet to be determined which agency will receive the aid, said Department of Health (DOH) 7 Director Jaime Bernadas. Source: Local News


Duterte presents award, attends vehicle turnover

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte gave yesterday afternoon an award to the police officer who was wounded in a drug bust in Barangay South Poblacion, San Fernando, Cebu last Feb. 4. PO2 Aristeo Tampus, an anti-narcotics operative of San Fernando Police Station, received the Order of Lapu-Lapu with the rank of Kampilan. Tampus was with his family when he accepted the award from President Duterte at the Police Regional Office 7 headquarters in Cebu City. Source: Local News


Traffic ‘top on agenda’ of metro mayors

SEVERAL mayors in Metro Cebu want a unified system to address the traffic problem. This was what they agreed upon during their discussion before meeting President Rodrigo Duterte last night. However, Tuburan Mayor Democrito Diamante, president of the League of Municipalities of the Philippine Cebu chapter, pointed out that the problem is only in Metro Cebu. This is the reason the cities and towns in the metro should do their share, he said. As for the towns, Diamante said that they should follow best practices of traffic management. Source: LocalRead More