January, 2018

 

Court asks pimp to pay P1M, serve 20 years in prison

CEBU Regional Trial Court Judge Soliver Peras has convicted a pimp of recruiting two women for sexual exploitation in 2014. Judge Peras found Frankie Arnaiz Basera guilty of violating Sec. 4 of Republic Act (RA) 10364 or the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act, and sentenced him to 20 years of imprisonment and ordered him to pay P1 million as a fine. Basera “was caught in flagrante delicto offering two women for sexual service to the decoy customer,” read part of the decision. Source: Local News


Roadblock worries hotel management

THE first quarter of the year is usually a peak season for hotels and resorts, which would mean fully-booked rooms and function halls. But the management of a hotel along J. Panis St. in Barangay Kasambagan, Cebu City found themselves losing several customers in just a span of 10 days after a road closure in the area. Source: Local News


More than 600 children await adoption in region

WITH 616 children declared ready for adoption, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) called on responsible families to give these children a home. From 2009-2017, there are now 616 children with Pre-Adoption Placement Authority (PAPA) and Affidavit of Consent for Adoption (ACA), and Regional Adoption Clearance, the DSWD said during a Kapihan sa Philippine Information Agency. At least 564 others have been endorsed to DSWD for the issuance of a Certification Declaring a Child Available for Adoption. Source: Local News


Organizers: Expand liquor ban

SINULOG organizers are planning several improvements in next year’s celebration, including expansion of the coverage of the liquor ban, purchase of additional communication equipment, and better crowd control. Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak, Sinulog executive committee chairman, said he will propose to Mayor Tomas Osmeña to extend the coverage of liquor ban from within 300 meters to 500 meters of the route of the Sinulog grand parade. Source: Local News


2 bars face probe for violation

TWO business establishments in Cebu City are being investigated for reportedly violating the liquor ban within 300 meters of the Sinulog grand parade last month. In a report submitted to Councilor Dave Tumulak yesterday, personnel of Cebu City Police Station 2 said that while they were doing rounds, they found a bar on Don Jose Avila St. and a bar on Juana Osmeña St. in Barangay Capitol Site selling liquor to foreign and local customers last Jan. 21. This violated Executive Order No. 030, issued by Mayor Tomas Osmeña. Source:Read More


NDF consultant Rafael Baylosis rearrested

MANILA, Philippines – National Democratic Front (NDF) consultant Rafael Baylosis was rearrested on Wednesday, January 31. Lawyer Edre Olalia, legal consultant of the NDF negotiating panel, told Rappler Baylosis is currently detained at the headquarters of the police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Camp Crame in Quezon City. Baylosis, believed to … Source: Politics


Abueva changes jersey number to signal transformation to Beast 2.0

MANILA, Philippines – Changing his jersey number signals a fresh start for Calvin Abueva. Sporting the No. 8 in his first 5 seasons in the PBA, Abueva, who shared that he went through sadness for the past 3 weeks involving a family-related issue, altered his jersey number to 88 as he … Source: Politics


Israel PM corrects German minister on two-state support

JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel on Wednesday, January 31, publicly correcting him over Israel’s stance on a two-state solution to its conflict with the Palestinians. Netanyahu had snubbed Gabriel in April when the visiting diplomat declined to call off meetings with rights groups … Source: Politics


Alab blazes to an overtime comeback win over Chongson Kung Fu

MANILA, Philippines – Alab Pilipinas finally secured another home game win in a 94-91overtime victory over Chongson Kung Fu on Wednesday, January 31, at the Sta. Rosa Multipurpose Sports Complex.  Bobby Ray Parks Jr. led the fiery Alab comeback with 31 huge points, while both Renaldo Balkman and Justin Brownlee … Source: Politics


Ex-Catalan leader reportedly says it's over for him

MADRID, Spain – Spain’s Telecinco television channel revealed Wednesday a series of mobile phone messages written by sacked Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont to another separatist, in which he says it’s likely all over for him. The revelations, which Puigdemont did not deny, came as the Spanish government urged the Catalan … Source: Politics