August, 2016

 

City hands 171 rifles to CCPO

TWO weeks after remitting about 223 unlicensed firearms to the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7, the Cebu City Government has already issued some 171 rifles to the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO). Last Aug. 11, aside from pulling out Mayor Tomas Osmeña’s three police escorts, including SPO1 Adonis Dumpit, who has been transferred to Bohol, the PRO 7 ordered the City to surrender to the police all its 249 unlicensed firearms, for safekeeping. Source: Local News


Woman nabbed for bag of ‘shabu’

A 30-YEAR-OLD former saleslady was caught by the police for carrying a big pack of suspected shabu and P400,000 in bills yesterday morning. Suspect Edelyn Baar Lazona was supposed to deliver the money to a Chinese man in Pasil after she was instructed by her uncle who is detained in the Cebu City Jail, said Chief Insp. Keith Allen Andaya, the Pasil Police Station head. Raid Source: Local News


More officials switch party

FOUR Cebu City councilors will take oath before the Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) anytime this month. Councilors Joel Garganera, Raymond Garcia, Nendell Hanz Abella and James Cuenco will take their oath together, two weeks from now. Garganera and Garcia, members of Team Rama both, were to join other members during the mass oath-taking of officials from other towns and cities of Cebu, but were not able to do so due to prior commitments. Source: Local News


Dino to check regional execs' compliance with Sona order

TWO months after assuming office, Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Michael Lloyd Dino is scheduled to meet today all regional directors of national agencies in Central Visayas to find out what they have done on the call of the President to reduce red tape in government and the fight against corruption. Dino said he wants to get updates directly from the regional directors since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered to shorten the processing time in all government transactions and to avoid corruption during his State of the Nation Address last July.Read More


Compliance with SONA order

TWO months after assuming office, Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Michael Lloyd Dino is scheduled to meet today all regional directors of national agencies in Central Visayas to find out what they have done on the call of the President to reduce red tape in government and the fight against corruption. Dino said he wants to get updates directly from the regional directors since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered to shorten the processing time in all government transactions and to avoid corruption during his State of the Nation Address last July.Read More


Ex-CPDRC consultant asks to submit evidence on complaint v. jail guards

FORMER Capitol consultant on jail matters Marco Toral has been asked to submit evidence to support his complaints against some jail guards on the alleged smuggling of illegal items inside the facility. The Capitol committee on discipline and investigation gave Toral 10 days to submit the evidence upon receipt of the order, which was issued last week. Provincial Legal Officer Orvi Ortega said that Toral sent a complaint letter to the committee against some jail guards, but there was no affidavit or evidence to support his allegations. Source: Local News


Editorial: Still no holistic, rational plan

TWO months after the Duterte administration launched a focused campaign against illegal drugs, what to do with the thousands of illegal drug users that responded to its “Operation Tokhang” nationwide is a question whose answer has remained unclear. Rehabilitation is the way to go but because government seems to have prepared only for the killing of suspected drug dealers, it failed to provide the resources and put up the facilities to rehabilitate Tokhang surrenderees. Source: Local News


Briones: Road rage 2

PO3 Renato Inot and his cousin Adelcos Alonzo finally surrendered. According to Inot, he had no intention of evading authorities. He went to the northern town of Medellin because he had a court hearing in Bogo last Tuesday morning. The policeman also apologized to truck driver Crispen Ricarte, whom he showered with punches last Friday afternoon. All because the latter refused to let Inot overtake him on the first Mactan bridge. Inot said he was in a hurry that time and that he had a lot on his mind. Source:Read More


Wenceslao: Duterte’s Abu Sayyaf test

NOW, the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte has seen deaths not conjured by its intensified drive against the illegal drugs trade. In the forests of Patikul town in Sulu, 15 soldiers and around 21 terrorists had been killed in clashes between government troops and Abu Sayyaf bandits that are holding captive 21 people, 16 of them foreigners. The Army launched an offensive after the Abu Sayyaf ignored the President’s plea for it to release the hostages. Source: Local News


Seares: CHR keeps eyes only on the state. Right? No

THE Commission on Human Rights (CHR) was created by the Constitution as an independent body to investigate “all forms of human rights violations involving civil and political rights.” It aims to “protect human rights of all persons” within the Philippines and Filipinos residing abroad. That must include violations against persons working for the state, such as police officers and soldiers. Source: Local News